Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Q&A with Y. Correa: Writing Struggles

Hey y'all, it's been far too long.

I don't think I've blogged about anything since July. So, let's take care of that, shall we?




I was asked:

What has been the biggest struggle with taking on "The Legacy of MarcoAntonio & Amaryllis: Mother Haydie's Revenge", that's to say, Part 2 of "MarcoAntonio & Amaryllis"?


Pardon me, while I wipe away a tear.

cryingemojiI have to admit ...


I'm having a hell of a time writing this story. Not because I don't have any ideas, or writers block for that matter, but because I'm afraid.


worried-emoticonYes, I said it. I AM AFRAID!

Some of you might understand what I'm about to say, some of you might not. But, I suppose the best way to address this question is to rewind the clock and give you a tad bit of backstory.

clockFor all of you artists and writers out that, a question.


Have you ever written a Master Piece, and when deciding on expanding said Master Piece, you find yourself worried that the next part will not measure up to the magnificence of the original?


That is where I have been for well over 2 and a half years when it comes to the 2nd (and final) installment of "MarcoAntonio & Amaryllis".


Whether rationally or irrationally, I fret that the 2nd part might take away from the luster and richness of part 1.


I know, in my heart of hearts that that's a ridiculous concern, but at the same time it is a fearful thing to think about. I mean, part 1 was, I felt, a true work of art. Of course, the reviews I obtained for it confirmed my thoughts. So, while I'm certain that part 2 will be just as good in its own right, I simply can't shake that anxiety.


nailbitingRecently, I re-started working on "The Legacy of MarcoAntonio & Amaryllis: Mother Haydie's Revenge" and I had an epiphany of what elements I could use to tie both books together.


You see, when I first started it, it was mostly because I didn't want the characters to go away. I had grown so close to them, that the thought of them fizzling away in one book crushed me. Suffice it to say, that my first few chapters had little or nothing to do with the main theme of the tale. So, I was stagnant for some time, as I worried my little heart off that I would never discover a common ground. THAT, in and of itself, could be that cause of a irrevocable failure—the story not achieving it's full potential, or being as good as the first.


And, after 2 years and some months, I finally came across the best way to merge the 2. It had been there all along, but fear had kept me from seeing it.


In part 1 there is the mention of a family heirloom in the form of a Sword & Shield duo; The Ebony Sword & The Ebony Shield. In book one, it is only commented on briefly. Yet, the value and meaning of this heirloom was great.



Then, it occurred to me.


I needed to bring them back! Only with them in the 2nd book would I be able to make the story all that it can be.


So, basically, wish me luck y'all.






Well, that's it for this session of Q&A with Y.


Talk to y'all soon. And wish me luck with getting this book finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment