Friday, November 14, 2014

The Mini Truth: Reviews

Welcome to my first installment of “The Mini Truth”.


Today, we'll talk about The Mini Truth: Reviews.


Among my many jobs is book reviews. I started doing book reviews because I wanted to offer a service to the Indie Published Public. I noticed a gap in the market and opted to try and fill it. I was honored and pleased when the Owner/Operator of The Review Board asked me to be a part of the team as I would be privileged to join forces with a group of individuals whom shared my vision. And when I accepted her proposal I made a promise—I would be nothing but honest and call it as I saw it.


Thus I was dubbed "Mini Truth".


'Mini' because of my stature, and 'Truth' because I would be honest.


reviewsEach mind is its own world, and because of that every independent person makes choices for their own well being.



Why do I say that?


Because lots of reviewers have different hypotheses on how reviews should be treated, and they make their reviewing policies accordingly.



So... to each his own.


logo26


I have no right to tell anyone what he/she can or cannot say on their reviews. That includes their views of my own works. I wouldn't even presume to try. I find it massively disrespectful to impose on a persons review of my work.


So, even if a review is bad (and I've gotten my share of bad reviews), I leave it be and suck it up. But, you see, I'm a grown woman that can handle criticism. I've learned to...


keep-calm-and-take-life-as-it-comes



That, obviously is NOT the case for many.


dave_shaking_head_no


So, I'm here today to have some "real talk" about reviews, from the point of view of a Reviewer.


My BIGGEST Pet Peeve is when an author take offense about a review of a work which THEY THEMSELVES submitted for review!


It's like, "Dude, YOU ASKED ME. I didn't go hunt you down and beg to review your work. It was vice versa. Yet, when I give you an honest opinion you want to get mad about it?!"


Nope1

 

In the past year or so I've done some not so favorable reviews and have had to experience some seriously ridiculous backlashes from authors whom think their shit don't stink.


Needless to say that I don't take too kindly to that sort of thing. Moreover, I don't have the type of temperament that will sit there and take it either.


If I feel as though I'm being attacked, I will speak up. Of course know that I only do it when I feel the need to defend myself. Unfortunately, I have had to this past year.


I have a habit...


A long time ago a person that was really close to me once taught me one thing, something that I'll never forget. He said, "If you're going to talk shit, you better be able to back it up."


turd

Ever since then, I make it a point of keeping proof. So that when I DO need to do some 'not so favorable talking', I have the evidence to prove what I'm saying.


Why do I bring that up, you ask? Because many times over, these authors whom have gotten offended at the reviews I've given on their books have the audacity to call me a liar.


I might be a great many things (I've never claimed to be perfect), but one thing I'm not is a liar. For good or for bad, I call things how I see them.


Now, just because my opinion may be different than yours by no means makes me a liar.Shit_just_got_real

 

Suffice it to say that I don't take kindly to being called a liar.


I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you a little story about a review that I did not too long ago.

once-upon-a-time-logo1

 

About a month ago I did a read and review on a book title "Where is Heaven" by one Mr. Phil Bowie. Well, I took my time to read this work, as hard as it was for me to read, and then wrote up my review accordingly.

Then the madness began...


Per some readers on Amazon, this book was not very good at all. Of course there were some readers that gushed over it like it was the next bible incarnate. Now, I should've taken a clue from having looked at the not so good reviews and the things that followed. This particular author had the habit of back lashing at the people who left bad reviews.


Here is an example:


Amazon Review by Clem


Well needless to say, my review was very in depth (as they always are) and I penned all of my thoughts. Being that I'm part of The Review Board, my review was posted there as well as in other channels (like Goodreads and Amazon).


Could you believe that the author read my review just today and then sent an angry message. The son of a motherless goat called me a liar.


tumblr_mbunpcneva1ri41obo1_500

Now, what did I say before about having hard core proof?


drum

 

Allow me to present you with my review as it was present at The Review Board. Note that I took my time to take screen shots of the certain elements on the book in question.



The Wordsmith of Truth on Where is Heaven


Basically, at this point, it is what it is.

I'm just SICK AND FREAKING TIRED of these pompous, holier than thou, my shit don't stink authors coming around, asking for reviews then not being able to take the heat.

l-97003

 

I say all that to say this...


tumblr_m8um5czsa51qawgya

 

My time is too precious to be wasting it on people that want to cry and whine about my HONEST OPINION of their books.


I feel the need to also put out there that what most people do not know and understand is that I am a multi-genre reader and writer. I'm not particular to any one genre alone, therefore I enjoy them all. Because of this I am especially qualified to read and review a book.


Please understand, being an author I know how hard it is to get a bad review of your book. I'm THE FIRST to understand that. But, on the same token, if you aren't mentally ready to accept other peoples' views on your book, than you shouldn't be publishing it.


This is a market for GROWN ASS FOLK, not babies that think they have the next best book idea. Step back and smell the coffee Homie, your book might not be as good as you think it is.


 

divider

 

Stay tuned for my next blog post when I list the best books I've read this year. Bare in mind, it ain't many.

Ashton-kutcher-laughing-top-10-vine-videos

 Reviewers please, tell me about your reviewing woes.

No comments:

Post a Comment