Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Real Me Vs. What People See

It's been one of those days when I've been reflecting on the constant misconceptions of how people view me. The world has become such a shallow place that they just can't see past the obvious, then in turn put everyone into a "category".


categories

It is almost as though the world can't function unless they have a Dewey Decimal System in which to throw others.


Has it become irrational to have depth of character? Is it that rare to find?


The thing is that I find this stereotyping in every aspect of my life. I'll show you some examples.


When people ask me what I do for a living and I say a writer, they see this.


00688-funny-cartoons-writerWhen I say publisher/editor they see this.


040312_dFunnyAuthorDeniseMallory-940x6251

catmoney

When I get asked what my hobbies are and I say reading, people see this.


book-worm


When I say cooking, people see this.


Swedish_poser


When I am trying to find a man to date, and we are in the "getting to know each other" process; when he asks certain questions about me and I answer, I inevitably get thrust into a category.


If I say I am a strong, independent woman, men see this.


life-lessons-from-a-pissed-off-drag-queenWhen I say I'm Puerto Rican, they think this.


sJOippf


If I just say Latina, they think.


tumblr_n05b18WIS31rk74v1o1_500


Then if I say a mom, they immediately think.


Frumpy 50s Housewife2


For some odd reason, men instantaneously  think of me as a sex pot and see me like so ...


piece_of_meat_cartoon-t1


When I say, "Hey, hey! Chill out! It's not like that" they see ...


mean+nunOn the rare occasion that our conversation gets past that point and they ask me what my hobbies are, and I say "I like Science, Mythology and things of that sort." I am then ...


Nerd-Test


Then if I say I have a big heart, I go here.


108892014-260x260-0-0_funny+girls+purple+passion+hippie+pants+halloween+


When I'm like "No dude, I don't do drugs!" suddenly, I'm here.


nypdblow12n-2-web



Then there is the other extreme.


When I say I am short, people see this.


Briana1-208x300


If I say I'm average, they see this.


9


If I say I am curvy, then they see this.


e5b96b290751e869eb32dc5c1d9304f6


If I say thin, then I am this.


thin-skinny-woman-1



It's exhausting! I feel as thought I continually need to "explain myself" to people and it's frustrating.


There is just no winning. Frankly, I am sick and tired of being categorized. Since when has it become irrational to believe that a person can be more (much more) than just one thing.


I am me, and "me" is a person with lots of depth of character. So please, for the love of all things holy, STOP putting me in your little mental file cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment