Greetings Reader, Writers and Precious Patrons.
Today I have a special treat.
Today, Author Queen of Spades will be visiting us in the form of an interview that I did with her about her upcoming release, "Spaded Truths 2: Life-O-Suction".
- Could you please tell us why you believe that putting together a controversial poetry collection is so important in today's society? Please expand on your answer.
I don’t think the controversial aspect is necessarily the most important part but the ability to present content that makes a person think. Although the advancement of the Internet and the incorporation of Social Media has made it possible to get information to people at lightning speed, the downfall is that in more instances than not, there is a failure to fact check or to even wait for the full story. As a result, there are some people that treat gossip as gospel, as well as people who don’t delve to go deeper than what is drudged up via Google basic search or Wikipedia. This marks a missed opportunity to engage critical analysis and to come out becoming more evolved in the end. In order to be noticed, one has to do something that has shock value, for the world has become highly desensitized to many actions. Too many things that would have sparked outraged have become part of the everyday fabric of existing. So, controversy brings the person to the table, if you will, but the content has to make the person stay.
- Give the choice between writing a poetry collection that some might find contentious and writing a poetry collection that may draw in a bigger crowd, which would you choose and why?
I actually choose authenticity, which has the ability to produce both types of poetry collections. No, it isn’t quite the answer your audience was looking for but it’s the most truthful.
- Everyone has hard times and/or dark moments in life. How do you believe that "Spaded Truths 2: Life-O-Suction" addresses those issues and why do you think it's important?
Spaded Truths 2: Life-O-Suction put a spotlight on awareness—episodes that can drain the human condition. This is slightly different from Spaded Truths: Themes and Proclamations where I had my thoughts and addressed those thoughts using my poetry.
The awareness presented in Spaded Truths 2: Life-O-Suction is important because it keeps that universal feel intact, even if the delivery of some of the content is a bit heated.
- Could you please tell us a little bit about the message that you were trying to convey on the cover of "Spaded Truths 2", and do you believe that the graphic artist did a good job in creating what you were looking for?
Since Spaded Truths 2 was steering in a more personal direction, in the sense of dealing with internal chaos, as opposed to external reflections, I had to come up with imagery to represent this transition. However, I didn’t want the concept to steer too far from the abstractness of the 1st Spaded Truths, Themes and Proclamations. The graphic artist did a great job at mimicking the feel of the first one while conveying how certain revelations and travesties to tear on the heartbeat of life’s vibrancy.
- What is the single most important thing that you'd like to accomplish with the release of "Spaded Truths 2"? Please expand on your answer.
In short, a multitude of reactions: from “I get it” to “No, she didn’t just say that” to “This just makes me uncomfortable”. The purpose is some sort of feeling, any feeling.
Spaded Truths 2: Life-O-Suction
Queen of Spades
Will be hitting the market at an Amazon near you on December 1st, 2015. Trust me, you don't want to miss it!