Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Yet another session of Q&A with Y. Correa

helloI couldn't resist. I had to put The Doctor there.


bronze_beaded_divider___design_png_by_jssanda-d6arcln


Before I get into this blog post ...


So, how are y'all feeling about my new layout? I actually like it. For some time now I'd been struggling with a layout/theme that said "Y. Correa" and hadn't been able to find the perfect one. Now, I'm not saying this one is perfect, but I am saying that it'll do for now. LOL.



WOOT!


*High 5!*


high 5


And, on that note ...


bronze_beaded_divider___design_png_by_jssanda-d6arcln


So, I was asked the following question, which I thought was a very good one.


"Are you more patient in your reviewing capacity than in your author capacity when it comes to conflict that is slow to fruition?"


That right there was a pretty interesting question, so I feel obliged to answer it.


I suppose, I can give you the quick answer which is no. However, I'm certain that that won't suffice. Therefore, I will indulge you all in the long answer.


long answerAnyone who knows me, knows that I don't have very much patience to begin with ... with the exception, of course, for inevitable things. Like making a proper meal, or doing laundry, or waiting for the dog to poo while I'm holding his leash, or with children.


Well, at least for the most part, unless he/she is a spoiled brat, in which case there is little to no patience to be had.


That being said, I find that every book has a tempo. I call it "The Books Rhythm and Music".


magic-book


Musically speaking, I find that every book can fall within its own musical category. There are so many ...


Classical


Jazz


Retro: 60's, 70's & 80's


Funk


Pop


And tons more.


As with any music, I find that any diversion in the tempo will hinder the flow of the song altogether. Have you ever put on your favorite record/cd and a bit into the song it skips thus throwing off the beat completely?


I find that this is very much how a book should work.


I wouldn't expect a Romance, for example, to have the same cadence as a Historical Fiction. Nor would I assume that an Urban Fiction would have to have the same momentum as a Horror. That's just being unrealistic.


I do however, believe and expect for every book to flow at the rhythm of its music.


Have you ever been to music class and had the music teach tell you to clap your hands before the music has started?


He/she indicated the beats per second that they want you to clap to. Sometimes it's something as simple as a "1 beat". That is to say "Clap ... clap ... clap ..." and so on.


Other times they may have you clap to a "1, 2 beat". That is something like "Clap ... clap, clap ... clap".


clappinghandsEvery now and again, there will be that one student in the class whose musical ear is liken to a mule playing a piano. Everyone is on the "1, 2 beat" and Marlow Mule is on "beats 4, 5 & 6".


Just ...


Nope_avi_high_resolution_by_wango911-d4jv1vx


Poor Marlow, it's not his fault, he was simply not bestowed the gift of a benevolent beat. And so, in that aspect it is what it is. However, you won't see Marlow later on in life looking for a record deal.


Ehem ...


34d006f321f50dfe304a464ef11cce09I may have veered off topic there for a second.


Let me get back to what I was saying.


bronze_beaded_divider___design_png_by_jssanda-d6arcln


So, getting back to what I was saying ...


I am a bit impatient when it comes to a book getting to the heart of the conflict, but ONLY IF that book has fallen from it's tempo.


Usually, one can tell by the 3rd chapter of a book how slow or fast it will be.


Let's say for example that I've picked up a book whose pace is slow, I expect the entire book to remain that way. Yet, if it started off fast and strong and suddenly dropped speed, at that moment I'm wanting to fling said book across the room.


There's nothing worse than a book that lost its song!


I hold true to this philosophy/frame of mind when it comes to my books as well. I want my readers to bask in the music—the art of storytelling—which when done correctly sings like a nightingale in the heart of the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment